Thursday, 19 April 2012 17:06
For a “Taste of Neverland” you can experience at home, here’s a favorite sugar cookie recipe with a sprinkling of “pixie dust” from the pastry chefs at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa . The “pixie dust” is colored sugar sprinkles – you can let the kids make a wish as they decorate their own.
For neat edges, dip your cookie cutters in flour before cutting out each cookie. Have fun making magical memories!
Neverland Sugar Cookies
Makes 2 dozen cookies
2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
12 tablespoons butter, softened
3/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 vanilla bean
2 1/2 cups pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup colored “pixie dust” (colored sugar sprinkles), for decorating
- Cream sugar and butter in large bowl until smooth, using an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add egg and almond extract. Split vanilla bean and scrape out the seeds with the back of a knife. Add directly to butter mixture; mix until combined.
- Sift together flour and baking powder in a medium bowl.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to butter mixture, using electric mixer on low until a dough forms. Be sure to scrape sides ofbowl while mixing.
- Remove dough from bowl and wrap in plastic wrap; place in refrigerator until firm, 2 to 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 330˚F. Allow dough to sit at room temperature until pliable, about 15 minutes. Divide in half and place on floured work surface. Using a rolling pin, roll dough out until about 1/8 inch thick. While rolling, flour the work surface and rolling pin as needed.
- Cut out desired shapes with cookie cutters. Transfer to an ungreased cookie sheet, placing 1 inch apart. Generously sprinkle with sugar sprinkles.
- Place cookie sheet on rack in center of oven and bake until edges are firm and bottoms very lightly browned, 10 to 14 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on cookie sheet for a minute, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.